Monday, November 10, 2014

Fall 2014 Bookfair at Dirigo Elementary School

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at a blog so bare with me.

     With the help of a volunteer I was able to set up my first book fair. I have helped with other book fairs at other schools but this is the first time that I was responsible for it. It is exciting. I love viewing all the new books from picture books to chapter books for older students to the cookbooks they send along for the mothers that come to the book fair. (As you have already guessed it is very easy for me to get distracted when books are involved)
     I have set up a display with plastic baskets that will have the classroom teachers picture on it. The teachers go through the book fair and put the books they would like in their classroom in the basket. The sign above this display will say Check Out the Books Your Teacher Would Like to Add to Your Classroom Library. This is to encourage students/parents to purchase one of the books from the basket to donate to the classroom library. I hope it works, with budgets what they are every free book a teacher gets is a bonus.
     A couple of teachers have been in and put books in their baskets. The students and other classroom teachers will start to view the book fair on Wednesday November 12th. Wednesday Nov. 19th and Thursday Nov. 20th are the two evenings for the parents to come to the book fair with the students, after parent teacher conferences are over.
     I still have to print up blank Wish Lists for the students to fill out and take home and share with their parents, make the sign to go above the teachers baskets, there is something else but I can't think of it at the moment. I will come to me when I need it now.  I would like to think that I can add some pictures to this blog but I will have to see.
     I'll post again and let you know how the book fair is going.   Thats it for today.  Terri

3 comments:

  1. I love book fair time! It sounds like you do a good job running the show. I volunteered at my daughter's school's book fair last spring and all the teachers had the names of books they wanted written on individual pieces of paper and you could grab the name of a book and purchase it for their classroom, kind of like those Christmas trees that pop up at the front of Wal-Mart this time of year. Very cool.

    Good luck with the fair!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri, Great job. I will post to the address page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your book fair was a success! When I taught in an elementary school, I loved choosing books for my basket. Then I was always surprised when parents chose to buy one of my requested books. After our class visit to the book fair, I always had to plan 20 minutes of silent reading for the kids to start to enjoy and share their personal book choices.

    ReplyDelete