Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November 13, 2014
     I survived the first day with students at the book fair. I had one volunteer come in at 1:30 thank goodness, as I still had a second grade class making out their wish lists. I had the secretary announce over the intercom that any student with money could go to the book fair at that time and we were both pretty busy.
     I sent an email asking my Scholastic Book Fair rep if she had any more Maine Student Book Award Books that they could send. A box arrived today with ten more titles. My display while not lavish looks much better with more than the two titles they originally sent along.
     I am a little disappointed with the lack of volunteer support. I do have the dedicated volunteer that comes in every afternoon during the book fair as well as on Tuesdays and Fridays morning, and I have had one parent volunteer to help one afternoon this week but aside from them nobody has come forward to help. In previous book fairs that I have been involved in I had a lot more help spread out over the course of the fair. You know many hands lighten the load.
     I also have not had a lot of participation from the teachers filling their buckets (I have had 5 teachers come in and put books in their buckets) with books that they would like for their classroom libraries. The teachers bring their kids down at the regular library time and instead of browsing the fair they leave and come back 40 minutes later. This isn't a big deal with the older students but with K through second grade I could use an extra set of hand. I help them write down the book titles and prices on their wish list, 15 to 20 students that age is a little hectic.
     I am probably expecting too much. All I can do is make the offer or ask for help and if nobody takes me up on it I'll still get along.  That's all for today.  Thanks for listening to me vent. Terri

1 comment: